In a dramatic and contentious Craigmillar Social Inclusion Partnership Extraordinary Board Meeting today, it became clear that there had to be an external investigation of Board Member, Funding Panel Chairman and disgraced ex-Councillor Paul Nolan.
Todayâ€™s extraordinary meeting to discuss a complaint of multiple and sustained conflicts of interest, nepotism and cronyism over many years was made by the Lismore Parents Action Group who were recently cleared of any wrongdoing, against the wishes of Nolan, by the Children & Families Department.
Yesterday afternoon and today there were also meetings at Communities Scotland with senior Councillors to discuss the complaint which has now been sent for investigation to the Corporate Services department of the City Council.
Things which must be covered in the investigation in a full, open and truthfull way for the people of Craigmillar are not only the complaint against the disgraced ex-Councillor but also:
1. Why this was overseen and continually tolerated by a Council Official, Norma Cuthbertson, from the Corporate Services division.
2. Why this was overseen and continued to be tolerated by Local Councillor and Chairman of the Craigmillar Social Inclusion Partnership, Councillor Jack Oâ€™Donnell.
3. Why Norma Cuthbertson, the overseeing Council Official constantly and without exception voted with Nolan at every funding panel meeting where there was a vote required. The majority if not all of these votes were passed with a 3/2 majority effectively giving the Council Official the casting vote.
4. Why the Director of Corporate Services, Jim Inch took no action when informed about these conflicts of interest.
5. Why after Nolan was disgraced in 1998 and Â£80m was deemed to be mismanaged, was he allowed under Council supervision to again take control of all the public money rolling into Craigmillar.
6. Why Lothian & Borders Police, The Health Board and Communities Scotland who all sit on the Board of the Social Inclusion Partnership sat by and watched this happening.
7. Why Craigmillar Social Inclusion Partnership is the only partnership not chaired by the Manager but Chaired by Nolan crony and pathetic local Councillor Jack Oâ€™Donnell.
8. The make-up and conduct of the Craigmillar Community Council which is completely loaded with Nolan cronies and has given Nolan his power under the noses of Council Officials who not only remain silent but also support him at every step.
The complaint against Nolan which is detailed in this post and this site is accepting and forwarding to the relevant investigating authorities any other complaints against Nolan. To submit further complaints (anonymously or otherwise) please email thebasa at EdinburghSucks dot com.
The meeting today which lasted 90 minutes has caused outrage in the community because it excluded angry members of the public from attending. This must be the Craigmilar version of Social Inclusion, eh – the people of Craigmillar are not allowed to voice their opinions to the board who are looking after the public money for their community.
We have had a lot of people suggesting a contact form on this post so that they can contact us anonymously. Here it is: